Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Una Semana has passed!

The feelings I have felt while I have been in Nicaragua have been scared, all the way to excited! I bet if you have ever traveled out of the country, it is a bit of a shock at first. I still am in that state. I cannot get my head wrapped around the fact that many people live the way they do. I feel pity for some people and I know I should not, but all I want to do is give a hug to every child I see and talk with all the older people I see. The average person in Nicaragua is a teenager and the average salary a day is $2.00. I am currently working at a clinic and have been able to interact with almost ALL people who walk in because I take blood pressures and check the pulse rate. I have been able to step in when the ultrasound tech was at the clinic and see many different things; a baby, the bottom of a heart that was later diagnosed with cor pulmonale (right sided heart failure), and the kidneys and the diaphragm. Today I was able to sit in with the cardiologist and got to help with EKG's and listen to him explain the foods people are no longer allowed to eat at home and what they need to change about their current lifestyle. The spanish I speak is minimal, but I am trying to get by with what I know for now. I have a friend at the clinic who has helped me so much, he explains things slowly to me and is very nice. He helps take down names and addresses because people think I speak fluent spanish for some reason and ask me questions that I have no idea what they said and I look at him for an answer. This saturday I will be able to sit in with the gynecologist! I am so excited! My first day of the clinic is off on Friday because we have the celebration of independence here. I have been able to see many things but in this next section I am going to explain the different senses and things I have experienced. Please allow yourself to be consumed by these descriptions. I have felt; sweat pouring down my face and body all day, the rain, cold water (in the shower only), and the skin of many Nicaraguans as I take their pulse. I have tasted; gallo pinto (a mixture of rice and beans), sopa, pupusas, tip top (a restaurant described to me as the chick fil a of Nicaragua), and many fruits and fruit juices that are hand squeezed. I have seen; little boys unzipping their pants to do their business steps outside the clinic, graffiti on the walls of every street, three people on one motorcycle, people of all ages when I travel on the bus to and from the clinic. I have heard; dogs barking in the middle of the night, horns every 2 seconds, and spanish all day long! I have smelled; horse manure on the streets as people ride their horse drawn carriage by the clinic, marijuana walking down the dirt roads near the clinic, and the wonderful food that my mother has cooked for me. There are many more experiences I have that will have to be kept to myself because there are too many to explain! The first day at the clinic, we had 72 patients, since then the number has gone down everyday. I heard that number is normal especially for Mondays because the clinic is closed over the weekend. I love what I am doing and who I am doing it for. I pray everyday that God gives me the strength and endurance to pursue another day as strong as I did the day before. I have appreciated all He has given me and I am hoping to express His love in every situation I am in. I was able to pray with a girl and her father at the clinic. She spoke very little broken english, but she tried. I felt so touched by her willingness to talk to me and I asked to pray for her and held hands and with her and her father. During the prayer I thought, wow, what do I say?!? After I was in tears and I felt so touched by God's presence I could not express it any better myself. God will never leave, nor forsake you! I have hope that He is with me wherever I go and I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Next if anyone feels lead, I have a suggestion. The church my family attends needs money for the property that their church is currently on. Land here is very expensive. They need about $50,000 more and have until December to pay the landowner. Right now the church is held up by 6 posts and has tin walls and a tin roof. It is somewhat outside and sunday school for the children is held in the house of a person who has their house on the land. If you feel lead to reach out in any amount or any way, please send money to my house @ 7906 213th St. East Bradenton, FL 34202. Make the check out to me and my mom will put it in our shared checking account and I will retrieve it from here. Please keep praying and e thankful for all you have!!! Me and my "sobrino" at our house!
My new pets! Lucas and Spikey
Morning time on the weekends:time with God

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I know it has been awhile since we actually talked. I want you to know I have been praying for you, and said a long one for you today. I am so proud of you, and you have helped inspire me further as well. I know that you are going to do great things over there, and I will continue to pray for the lost people that you serve, that in some way you will help lead them to Christ. You are doing great things, keep your head up, and a smile on.
    Love you,
    Captain Stacy =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all that God can do in just 8 Days. Wow.. It's amazing to see what he is doing with you. I love reading your blog and I'm so exicted to read the next one! It's awesome, it's so awesome and I'm so inspired and encouraged by reading your experiences of serving God to the fullest. I knew and know you would do absolutely amazing. You are the perfect one for the job. Your purpose is there and you will continue to do amazing things with these people. Your the heart they need and you will unconditionally share it with them. Keep giving everything to Him and you will continue to see Him more and more. Praying for you always.

    - Your #1 Fan

    ReplyDelete